The 3D printing is here to stay. About ten years ago, we had very few 3D printers that were the preserve of well-heeled companies and factories. However, this has changed as 3D printers are now readily available and are now affordable products that can be used by designers and even consumers. Improvements continue to be made on the best 3D printers to make them more customer-friendly and also affordable. So far the price of 3D printers continues to drop, and more and more people can afford them.
How 3d printers have improved
The following things have improved with the development of 3D printers:
- Their reliability as users can have more time in printing and spend less time troubleshooting. Also far fewer failed prints.
- The quality of printing has significantly improved as compared to the older generations.
- There is better software in use coming with seamlessly integrated suites. You no longer have to download many programs for you to do the printing.
- There is improved gear and clamps system hence few 3D printers with problems associated with filament feed.
Things to consider before buying a 3d printer
So, when you have decided to purchase a 3D printer, and you are wondering which of the available ones in the market you should purchase. There are a few things to consider when it comes to selecting the best 3D printer for you. Some factors to put into consideration include:
- What is your budget? Various 3D printers come with different costs and hence your budget is affected.
- Why are you buying the 3D printer?
- The printing consistency of the printer.
- The quality of the printed work
- Are you going to have some more fun while printing things?
- The speed of the printer that still maintains the quality of the prints and is cost-effective.
- The printer community where you can get the help in case you have some problems with the printer.
- The material type to get used for the printing.
Why buy or get a 3D printer?
Different people have various reasons why they always decide to get a 3D printer, but we have two main reasons.
- There are those who just like the hardware or the mechanical machine and get driven by the urge of designing theirs. They will want to have the fun of building the machine on their own instead of purchasing a complete 3D printer.
- The other group of people is that which gets drawn to 3D printing as a result of the ability to make anything they can imagine. These people want to experience the fun of exploring what one would be able to print using the 3D printer.
Choosing a 3D printer category
Whenever you go to purchase the 3D printer that you would like to have, it’s better to understand that there are different categories you will find in the market. The five categories include:
- Enthusiast 3d printers are for a person looking for a printer that is reliable and consistent in printing high-quality prints. You can upgrade and modify the printer.
- Plug-n-play 3d printers are the easiest to work with and use. They have low failure rate with excellent customer support and good for beginners.
- Kit/ Do It Yourself (DIY) 3d printers are for those who like tinkering and having their hands dirty. They don’t fit those who are faint-hearted. You can do more upgrades and modifications.
- Budget 3d printers are for those who are on a low budget ad don’t want to start from scratch.
- Resin 3d printers have a different way of doing things and are useful for professionals.