As the best dual extruder 3d printer, the FlashForge Creator Pro is an affordable printer that offers great value for your hard-earned money. It has an average rating of 4.6 stars out of 5 stars which a good sign of satisfaction, quality and high performance. The printer is an upgrade from the original FlashForge Creator which implies better quality and performance. The printer has great features that allow it to provide advanced printing solutions at low operation cost.
- Dual extruders
- Quiet operation
- Metal frame
- Enclosed chambers for ABS printing
- Open Source filament
- Easy to work with different softwares
- Heated 6.3 mm aluminum build plate
- Dual extruder head
- The Creator Pro
- 2x Spool Holders
- 2x filament guide tubes
- 2 spools filament. Each spool has a net weight of 2.2 pounds. The spools are randomly selected and they can be of different color or material.
- USB cable
- Power supply cable
- End stop switch cable which comes as a spare part
- Nuts, Hex Wrench kit and screws in the accessories bag
- 4 GB SD card containing user manual, test sample files and software
- Acrylic covers kit
Design and improvements
The print chamber is similar to that of its predecessor but several improvements. It is enclosed by a metal frame which is a clear indicator that the manufacturer wanted to upgrade the previous FlashForge Creator model.
- A metallic frame: It improves stiffness of the printer, reduces vibration and helps in precision of the parts made. The metallic chassis seals heat and reduces noise. It eliminated the resultant noise leakage from the wooden frame which was a common issue with the previous model.
- The build platform is made of high temperature aluminum resistant plates: The plates have a thickness of 6.3 mm that guarantee a level platform that can’t bend even during high heating processes.
- Open build area design: It makes the printer ideal for PLA printing material that needs to be ventilated and cooled when printing.
- Closed build area design for ABS material that needs to be warm when printing.
- More precision: A result a of high quality 6.3 mm build plate.
- Y-transmission beefed up with corner fittings to enhance easier installation and keep the axis straight.
- It has a clean black design that looks sharper: It is smoothly finished and highly functional with extra stability.
- LED lighting to provide a better view of project when printing: The light spills from the super-clear acrylic panels on the front of the printer. It makes the printing look magical and more professional.
- Improved build plate design: It enables higher printing speeds with fewer project failures or errors
- Printer remains more stable: Small rubber feet to keep the printer firm and stable to reduce project failures
Inside the print chamber
The printer has enough space to do various printing needs. The working space is sufficient for replacing components and producing prototypes, fun copies for 3d computer models and hobbyist items.
The delivery mechanism is fabricated and optimized to draw PLA (Poly-lactic acid) or ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene). It has two popular thermoplastics that have slightly different fabrication features. The thermoplastics are loaded on spools and feed through the dual extruder at a speed of 30-160 mm per second.
The chamber has a flat aluminum plate, high quality assembly of rods and guides that make z-axis movement very accurate. This allows for incremental deposits of 100-300 Micron thick layers for precise layering process.
With all these great features, the print chamber allows the FlashForge Creator Pro to generate high quality products faster and efficiently.
You can access and see the control interface of the printer on the LCD panel. The interface is brightly lit and positioned below the acrylic panel. It features a collection of soft button next to the LCD readout. It allows users to command the dual extruder assembly to perform tasks while gauging the progress of every function.
The software compatibility of the FlashForge Creator Pro provides axis-guides through a versatile duplication of MakerWare and open source Replicator. The input file types include g-code and STL, although printing can be done using an SD card or over a wired USB cable. The FlashForge Creator Pro is highly compatible with Linux, Max OSC and Windows operating systems. Subsequently, it should work well with any typical computer meaning you can control it easily using your home or office computer.
Currently just over $1000 USD this printer is considered to be affordable bearing in mind its great features. The ease of use, filament options, heated build plate, dual extruders and reliable customer support are great specs at this price. While you may find other 3d printers for less, you will often find they miss some important features that have made the FlashForge Creator Pro the printer it is today.
Set up tips
As a first-time user, you are likely to find that this printer is simple and undemanding to use. All the same, there are some tips that will simplify the process for you and ensure a smooth 3D printing experience. Here are some set-up tips that you should keep in mind for a better beginner experience.
- Don’t remove the Kapton tape pre-installed on the build-plate because it offers the printing surface.
- The spool is tightly wrapped. Be cautious not to make it unwind because it can make it messy to work with
Install the filament spool as outlined in the manual.
- Remember that the spool will feed differently when facing the rear side of the printer. For instance, the left spool will work counter-clockwise while the right spool will work clockwise when facing the back of this 3D printer.
- To make the printer operational, install the two extruders and get the software installation CD.
- It is essential to remember that you will not have to re-tighten the metal frame frequently. The frame hardly becomes loose unlike the previous wooden version which had to be re-tightened from time-to-time.
- Price: The advantages of this printer aren’t complete without mentioning its affordability. It only costs $1199 which is much lower than the price of its competitors.
- Dual extruder: The two extruders offer you several printing options. For instance, you can give each extruder a different printing task, print different colors or use different filaments as support structure for your designs.
- Enhanced stability construction: The metal frame of the printer optimizes the printing process. It increases the stability of moving parts like the 10 mm guide rods. This makes the moving parts work together to enhance accurate movement of the z-axis.
- Customer service: FlashForge has reliable customer support team. This means the Creator Pro is the printer to go for you are concerned about long-term customer support and service.
- Aluminum printing platform: The 6.3 mm aviation grade aluminum remains flat even after continuous exposure to high heat.
- Very easy to use: The printer has an on-board LCD interface that guides users on every step of 3D printing and setup process.
- The Creator Pro comes with enclosure panels that are relatively fragile.
Customer reviews and satisfaction
The FlashForge Creator Pro will be a good addition in your classroom, business or home. Buying this printer today is a sure way of enjoying a worthy experience just like thousands who have used. The 86% rating out of 5 stars imply that this printer will surely match your printing needs. True to the quality of service, most users reviewed the FlashForge Creator Pro as a printer that is affordable, comprehensive, easy to use, ready to use, compact size and backed up by excellent customer support.
Although the printer has had a good number of positive reviews from owners, there are a few people who have reported several complaints while using it. However, a good number of these complaints are from beginners. The complaints include:
Need to monitor prints: Always observe the first few layers being printed to confirm if they are laid down well. Make the necessary adjustments if necessary before leaving the printer unattended.
Constant adjusting: The ABS shipped with the printer may not stick firmly to the plate. This issue calls for constant adjustment of the ABS to make it stick on the plate. This issue is common if the Kapton tape has worn out and you can buy another roll of Kapton tape to solve it.
Fragile enclosure panel: Some users complained of receiving the printer with cracked back panel. If this happens, don’t let it bother you a lot. Instead, contact FlashForge for the way forward.
Startup issues: When you power the machine, you may notice that the heads want to force themselves above the top of machine. This normally occurs when the sensor is not connected properly. To correct it, push the sensor back into place.
The printer goes thorough quality control procedures before shipping. Owners are however given assurance for their 3D printer investment in form of a 90-day manufacturer’s warranty from the date of original purchase. There are also warranty extensions through ProCare Extended Warranty Program that begins after expiration of the standard 90-day warranty. The manufacturer’s warranty is only applicable to printers bought from authorized sellers and it is not transferable.
The FlashForge Creator Pro means that the 3D printing is no longer limited to well-off companies and homes. It makes quality 3D orienting accessible to all including hobbyists. Moreover, the price tag doesn’t come with limited capabilities. Subsequently, it is the ideal entry-level printer for individuals and organizations that don’t need large pieces, quick printing time and massive production. The FlashForge Creator Pro is the best dual extruder 3d printer for you. It will give you the best value for your money with no printing limitations.
Other Models you may want to consider
Perhaps this printer is a little too much or not quite enough for your needs. Here are a couple other dual extruder printers that are also very high quality and will suit different needs
Under $1,000Under $2,000Under $3,000Under $5,000
|XYZPrinting Davinci 2.0
Best for Beginners
|FlashForge Creator Pro||Lulzbot Taz 5||Airwolf AW3D HD2X
Best for Small Business